Praying Mantis Symbolizes Good Fortune

Praying mantis on the wall

I saw a praying mantis the other day on the side of my garage wall. What does a praying mantis symbolize or what is praying mantis symbolism? I thought to myself this has to be a good sign, a symbol of good fortune I assume. A praying mantis isn’t something you see every day. So I researched it and found that if a praying mantis appears before you, it is a good thing.

It has been said that the African Bushmen worshipped the praying mantis as the oldest symbol of God. It was said to be a manifestation of God here on earth. That is pretty interesting if I say so myself. It is also said that a praying mantis symbolizes meditation and contemplation. So I took a picture of it. (Uploading soon).

On the natural side, I appreciate the mantis for its patience and cunning when hunting as it lies still waiting for prey to come closer. I don’t appreciate its mating ritual. The female usually kills the male after mating. I have watched many documentaries on the praying mantis and I appreciate the benefit of having one keep insect pests at bay. Praying mantis come in many shapes, color and sizes and knowing the praying mantis symbolism is key.

Here is some information on understanding symbols. http://wp.me/P1wP0W-dx .  It answered my question what does a praying mantis symbolize. To share, I found more information at this site here. http://www.theprayingmantis.org/.   Another insightful link is http://www.wellnesssoup.com/2014/09/30/astrology-charts/  which talks about understanding through Astrology.  Cheers.

38 comments for “Praying Mantis Symbolizes Good Fortune

1. Jordan
    March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

The Symbolism of the Praying Mantis is of God. You are right on with this post. I always wonder about a lot of things especially animal symbolisms.

2. Lee
    October 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for this post! I’m experiencing a critical financial crisis, today I saw a praying mantis on my back deck, this is highly unusual, but this symbolism gives me hope that everything will work out fine and that God is watching and that good luck is near. Bless you!

October 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I appreciate your words, and everything will work out fine for you. Bless you too!

• Simonia
      October 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

God is watching…. Today, I saw a preying mantis on my doorstep.It carfully climbed the whole door frame. I was praying for some financial relief. The mailman came today with a big check…. God is watching.

December 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Your comment refelects the true meaning of praying mantis symbolism. Be on the look out for a praying mantis!

3. michael
    May 14, 2013 at 7:25 am

today a baby mantis was on my car as I pulled into work. I too was curious. thanks for your posts. Is a baby one more rare to see?

May 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm

You are welcome. Praying mantis symbolism…and now baby mantis symbolism. I think it is rare to see a baby praying mantis.

4. Caroline
    July 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I am sitting on my deck and behind is a preying mantis! I hope it brings good luck because I go in for surgery in the morning and I’m already at wits end with my health and money so I pray he is a good luck omen!

July 31, 2013 at 1:39 pm

WOW what a sight. I’m sure you seeing the praying mantis did symbolize good fortune to come. I hope everything turns out fine for you.

5. Lynn
    September 5, 2013 at 8:31 am

My husband and I have recently had our marriage put through a horrific time. After one very long and emotional talk we found a HUGE green preying mantice on the inside of our bedroom screen door. I knew it had to mean something so I found myself here on this website. I can’t explain it but I knew it was a sign and some how feel more at peace than ever.

September 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

That’s great news. No matter the outcome it seems like change for the better is coming.

6. Mary
    September 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Tonight, I had a praying mantis fly around me and then went on my front porch and was above my front door. I hope this means something good because we are having
    such financial problems and our home is in foreclosure and I just don’t know what we are going to do! Mary

September 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Seeing a praying mantis is a good omen. Even if it seems bad now the overall outcome will be better. I understand financial issues and those are for the most part temporary. Temporary is relative though for some it could me 6 months others can be 5 years. But just know the symbolism of seeing a praying mantis is a good thing. God sends us signs and signals all the time. I do know things will indeed get better for you.

7. chris phares
    September 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Its September 12@9:30 p.m._-A baby praying mantis appeared at my feet out of nowhere and I played some music for it when it would walk in circles,I guess it likes PUMP UP THE VOLUME,LINKIN PARK,TOM SAWYER,etc.What was awesome was when it would almost lay down like a puppy and look up at me and go back in circles and play with me.Lately I’ve had man visits from PRAYING MANTIIS,DRAGON FLIES,CROWS,ORIOLES(not seeing many him Virginia Beach),BUTTERFLIES…..Life is magnetised to HUMAN LIGHT within emenating witbout to the world…The praying Mantis was awesome for like 30 minutes,then flew away…

8. rowie
    April 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I was just looking in the mirror a few minutes ago and I could have SWORN I saw a big brown praying mantis on my shoulder/back. Scared outfof my mind (because I’ve never seen one and they aren’t common around here) I shook my shoulders violently and threw off my shirt. Still frightened, I picked up the shirt and shook it out. Nothing. I looked all around. Nothing. I searched everywhere. Nothing. I guess I must have imagined it. But why? I’ve never even thought about a praying mantis before. How random! Anyway, that’s why I came to this site. Thanks for hosting it!

9. June 12, 2014 at 7:23 pm

What happens if you kill a praying mantis?

June 16, 2014 at 9:44 am

I don’t think that is a bad thing if it was an accident, but if out of malice then there is always karma to deal with.

• Tevin Thomas
        August 20, 2014 at 5:08 am

There is a praying mantis on my ceiling I left my window up and I guess it came in last night while I was asleep what does that mean?

• August 22, 2014 at 9:36 am

Hi Tevin,
          First and foremost, the praying mantis is a spiritual messenger. It’s interesting that it came in while you were sleeping because we work out patterns in our sleep on a subconscious level. On a conscious level, be aware of decisions that you are considering making. And take your time to make the best decision not the quickest or easiest decision. Good is on your side and change is coming.
          Thanks,
          A.

10. shakerria
    August 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I was at work outside and I happened to look over and saw a praying mantis on my shoulder! I don’t know where it came from! I stood up and shook it off of my shoulder and then it ran away! What does it mean??

September 15, 2014 at 1:37 pm

It’s trying to tell you something. What was going on around the time that it appeared? Be still and clear your head. Something needs your attention and a wise decision has to be made. The fact that it ran away seems like you’re not receiving the message. Keep me posted on your discovery and outcome.
      Thanks!
      A.

• kerria
        September 17, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Well I’m a nurse at a mental hospital/rehab. The patients have smoke breaks. I went outside and sat down and was just talking to a coworker. I looked over and I saw it on my shoulder! Was it trying to tell me something about my job?

September 20, 2014 at 9:32 am

Kerria,
          Is there something going on with your mom? I’m not sure if the message is about work or not but it seems like there’s someone at work that you mean the world too. In any event, it’s a good omen. If you want a more detailed interpretation, e-mail me at aleesha@wellnesssoup.com with what’s been going on around you in the last three weeks.
          A.

11. Miss
    September 18, 2014 at 9:39 pm

My Family & I are currently in the process of trying to move to create a better & more secure future for My Children with a fresh start… The very first day that we went to the Realtor, He showed us one place that we really liked a lot. After careful contemplation, we decided that We’d like to take the place, however, their are still other factors from,authorities that have to be considered. My anxiety has been through the roof these last couple of days as I patiently wait for an answer. All the while, the last 3 days, a Praying Mantis has come to visit us on our living room window screen. It would leave every day & then find it’s way right back to our window. My Family & I are firm believers in God & prayer warriors as well, but seeing these posts just helps put My anxiety at ease & trust that God’s got Me covered. I needed this! Thank You all! May Peace & many blessings be unto You…

September 20, 2014 at 9:24 am

Great story! Let us know how you settle in to your new place. I’m glad you found the wellnesssoup site and it helped. Check out the tab: understanding symbols, patterns and energy. You might find helpful info there as well. Best of luck to you!
      Aleesha

12. frances
    September 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm

So what does it mean if I have them in my house as well as the outside?

September 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hi Frances. Do you always see them in or around your house during this time of year or, is this a rare occurrence?

13. Lori Breslow
    September 29, 2014 at 8:34 am

A Praying Mantis is at my door! I hope it means good luck/and or angels are praying for us. I’ve never seen such a large one, it’s about 6 inches long. My husband had told me this morning, when he was leaving for work, that there was one at the front door. He said to watch out for it. I went outside, didn’t see it until I turned around to go back inside. I think I scared it, because after I took a few pictures, and opened the door to go back inside, It raised it’s hands. I’ll just let him/her be…

14. malissa
    October 8, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I had a bright beautiful visitor today, ive been stressing out alot about different things and been praying all will be well and today I open my slider door and see a bright green praying mantis, I feel so blessed and lucky just seeing one, I haven’t seen one in a very very long time :)

October 8, 2014 at 4:35 pm

That’s great! Do you remember what happened in your life after you saw a praying mantis in the past?

15. Cherise
    October 11, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Hi. I just had a praying mantis on my window. At first I didn’t realize what it was and then it came to me (that it was a praying mantis). I’ve been going through a very hard time lately…financial challenges, lonely (I’m not married or in a relationship but desire to be), depressed, etc. what do you think this means?

October 11, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi,
      Change is coming for you! You have to make a shift in your thinking, though. Be positive and believe what you want is coming towards you! I also sent you a personal email.
      Thanks.
      A.

16. ali
    October 12, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Yesterday (Saturday) as well as last Saturday I saved two praying mantis while helping my parents clean our yards. Basically I have found them on branches that we were ready to cut and throw away and I was able to safely remove them and set them onto other plants. I recently graduated from my university and going through many interviews within my field, anxiously hoping to get the perfect job that Ive been dreaming of. Could these little critters be a sign of getting a call back from my desired job?

October 17, 2014 at 10:08 am

Hello,
      Yes, change is coming. Just when you think it’s time to move on to the next few interviews, you will receive good news regarding an opportunity. You may also receive good news a few Saturdays from now that may or may not be work related (Saturday seems to be a significant day for you). If you are interested in knowing what to expect in the days to come, check out this link http://www.wellnesssoup.com/2014/09/30/astrology-charts/ and look at the transit report section. Or feel free to call me at 424-200-3650 with any questions.
      Thanks.
      A.

17. Gerard
    October 16, 2014 at 8:46 am

Hello. I saw a praying mantis on the back of my car window yesterday. Don’t know if it was on there from home or if it hopped on in my parking lot after a 10 minute drive Hadn’t see one in years and thought it was usual. Didn’t think about it again until this morning when I saw one on my driver’s side mirrow in the same parking lot. Don’t know if it was the same one or when he got on. Could this be some kind of sign? I have been desperately trying for a new job and hoping to patch things up with my ex gf.

October 17, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hi,
      Yes, it’s a sign of some kind! Your ex gf may come across a work opportunity for you. Tell her to keep her ears open and to keep you in mind. If she hears of something it can help patch things up with the two of you. Money problems always cause a strain on relationships. Remind her that you know money problems cause a strain but, you think she might hear about something (and this could change things for the two of you). Then stop calling her so much. To change your energy, try this for 30 days: every morning when you wake up, tell yourself everything you are thankful and grateful for. If you do this you will change your vibration and invite more opportunities in your life. If you’re interested in more information or advice please feel free to email me or give me a call. Thanks and Good luck!
      A.

18. Kristin
    November 5, 2014 at 10:16 am

My husband and I have had a very rough year. We lost our twin boys born prematurely at 26 weeks in June and recently had to put down our dog due to cancer. My friend was just visiting and we were talking about healing and getting pregnant again. As she left, I pointed to the new fall wreath on my door and a huge green preying mantis was sitting on the bow. It startled me but my friend tells me they are good luck. What could this mean??

November 8, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Hi Kristin,

I’m sorry that you are going through such tough times. It sounds like your challenging times are going to soon become new beginnings. Every year we go through a different cycle energetically. If you’re interested, send me your birth month and day; I don’t need the year. I can tell you what year cycle you are currently in (in Numerology) and what events you can potentially expect. Typically, every ten years we go through similar life events. Was there something very challenging going on in your life ten years ago?

Thanks,