Praying Mantis Symbolizes Good Fortune

Praying mantis on the wall

I saw a praying mantis the other day on the side of my garage wall. What does a praying mantis symbolize or what is praying mantis symbolism? I thought to myself this has to be a good sign, a symbol of good fortune I assume. A praying mantis isn’t something you see every day. So I researched it and found that if a praying mantis appears before you, it is a good thing.

It has been said that the African Bushmen worshipped the praying mantis as the oldest symbol of God. It was said to be a manifestation of God here on earth. That is pretty interesting if I say so myself. It is also said that a praying mantis symbolizes meditation and contemplation. So I took a picture of it. (Uploading soon).

On the natural side, I appreciate the mantis for its patience and cunning when hunting as it lies still waiting for prey to come closer. I don’t appreciate its mating ritual. The female usually kills the male after mating. I have watched many documentaries on the praying mantis and I appreciate the benefit of having one keep insect pests at bay. Praying mantis come in many shapes, color and sizes and knowing the praying mantis symbolism is key.

Here is some information on understanding symbols. http://wp.me/P1wP0W-dx .  It answered my question what does a praying mantis symbolize. To share, I found more information at this site here. http://www.theprayingmantis.org/.   Another insightful website is www.astrodose.com which talks about understanding through Astrology.  Cheers.

17 comments for “Praying Mantis Symbolizes Good Fortune

1. Jordan
    March 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

The Symbolism of the Praying Mantis is of God. You are right on with this post. I always wonder about a lot of things especially animal symbolisms.

2. Lee
    October 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for this post! I’m experiencing a critical financial crisis, today I saw a praying mantis on my back deck, this is highly unusual, but this symbolism gives me hope that everything will work out fine and that God is watching and that good luck is near. Bless you!

• Aleesha
      October 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I appreciate your words, and everything will work out fine for you. Bless you too!

• Simonia
      October 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

God is watching…. Today, I saw a preying mantis on my doorstep.It carfully climbed the whole door frame. I was praying for some financial relief. The mailman came today with a big check…. God is watching.

• Aleesha
        December 17, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Your comment refelects the true meaning of praying mantis symbolism. Be on the look out for a praying mantis!

3. michael
    May 14, 2013 at 7:25 am

today a baby mantis was on my car as I pulled into work. I too was curious. thanks for your posts. Is a baby one more rare to see?

• Aleesha
      May 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm

You are welcome. Praying mantis symbolism…and now baby mantis symbolism. I think it is rare to see a baby praying mantis.

4. Caroline
    July 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I am sitting on my deck and behind is a preying mantis! I hope it brings good luck because I go in for surgery in the morning and I’m already at wits end with my health and money so I pray he is a good luck omen!

• Aleesha
      July 31, 2013 at 1:39 pm

WOW what a sight. I’m sure you seeing the praying mantis did symbolize good fortune to come. I hope everything turns out fine for you.

5. Lynn
    September 5, 2013 at 8:31 am

My husband and I have recently had our marriage put through a horrific time. After one very long and emotional talk we found a HUGE green preying mantice on the inside of our bedroom screen door. I knew it had to mean something so I found myself here on this website. I can’t explain it but I knew it was a sign and some how feel more at peace than ever.

• Aleesha
      September 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

That’s great news. No matter the outcome it seems like change for the better is coming.

6. Mary
    September 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Tonight, I had a praying mantis fly around me and then went on my front porch and was above my front door. I hope this means something good because we are having
    such financial problems and our home is in foreclosure and I just don’t know what we are going to do! Mary

• Aleesha
      September 8, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Seeing a praying mantis is a good omen. Even if it seems bad now the overall outcome will be better. I understand financial issues and those are for the most part temporary. Temporary is relative though for some it could me 6 months others can be 5 years. But just know the symbolism of seeing a praying mantis is a good thing. God sends us signs and signals all the time. I do know things will indeed get better for you.

7. chris phares
    September 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Its September 12@9:30 p.m._-A baby praying mantis appeared at my feet out of nowhere and I played some music for it when it would walk in circles,I guess it likes PUMP UP THE VOLUME,LINKIN PARK,TOM SAWYER,etc.What was awesome was when it would almost lay down like a puppy and look up at me and go back in circles and play with me.Lately I’ve had man visits from PRAYING MANTIIS,DRAGON FLIES,CROWS,ORIOLES(not seeing many him Virginia Beach),BUTTERFLIES…..Life is magnetised to HUMAN LIGHT within emenating witbout to the world…The praying Mantis was awesome for like 30 minutes,then flew away…

8. rowie
    April 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I was just looking in the mirror a few minutes ago and I could have SWORN I saw a big brown praying mantis on my shoulder/back. Scared outfof my mind (because I’ve never seen one and they aren’t common around here) I shook my shoulders violently and threw off my shirt. Still frightened, I picked up the shirt and shook it out. Nothing. I looked all around. Nothing. I searched everywhere. Nothing. I guess I must have imagined it. But why? I’ve never even thought about a praying mantis before. How random! Anyway, that’s why I came to this site. Thanks for hosting it!

9. June 12, 2014 at 7:23 pm

What happens if you kill a praying mantis?

• Aleesha
      June 16, 2014 at 9:44 am

I don’t think that is a bad thing if it was an accident, but if out of malice then there is always karma to deal with.